Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Baby, it's cold outside!

The temps are low around here and that means it’s time for us mild-winter-weather Washingtonians to bundle up! Personally, I love the drastic change of seasons. This is real WINTER, people! None of that “oh I’ll just run out in my sweater” weather. No – you need a REAL coat. Right now! Do you have one? Maybe. Do you need another one? Probably. Who wants to wear the same coat from now until March? I can’t do it. Plus, you know where we live. Next week it could be 55 degrees. But I still don’t want you running out in your sweater. You have other options! Let’s see what we’ve got.  (Keep in mind I have been all 3 of the friends below, so I do not make this stuff up!)

Exhibit A: the stylish mommy (meaning you run around all day and though you’re super buff from carrying that carseat, you still get out of breath and hot easily): This coat could potentially work for all 3 situations we’re discussing today. It is basically a year-round option at an affordable price with several important features: a HOOD (who has time for an umbrella? Also I don’t like how much space they waste in my nice handbags), a removable lining (hello spring and summer! Take that bad boy out and you are good for the warmer months and pack well for travel), a belt (yes please to make the look more polished) annnnnnd it comes in regular and petites. (I have pretended that coats I fell in love with fit, when really they were too long with droopy sleeves – ick! So, either alter or embrace a specialty size as needed.) My friend who looks like brunette barbie has the regular in black and I have the petite in khaki. Both of us have been pleased as punch and for less than $200, I am considering buying it in the other color! (shhhh I know I know Christmas is about GIVING not receiving. I’m all about giving but I have to be honest that I usually exchange a lot of what I receive… why can’t the husband ASK me what I want?! We have a horrible problem with this. The other day he suggested I get some slippers… so I did. How was I supposed to know that was a cryptic Christmas “hint?” And then I came home and showed them my steal of a deal on black sequin moccasins. Apparently this was a bad idea. He had ordered me an even cuter (can you believe it?) pair online for Christmas! What can I say. Sometimes my over-achiever-ness ruins surprises.)

Exhibit B: the public transit (but stylish) commuter (meaning you might wait for your unpredictable bus for longer than the “one bus away” app says you will): Two of my very beautiful friends have this coat. They are both the type that would look cute in a paper sack, but really trust me this coat is super cute. I love that is extra warm (read: tailgating appropriate), again has a hood, and my other fave feature – a belt! This is especially great for the puffy/down coats. Sometimes they can get a big sausage-ish (sorry) and the belt really breaks that up. It’s also 30% off right now! So go here and get shopping. This coat can easily be worn for 6 months in Washington, and when it warms up, go back to exhibit A. 

Exhibit C: the door-to-door diva (meaning your only time outside is from the door to the car, possibly across the street for coffee, then back from the car to the door): This girl should still be warm, but does not necessarily need to be practical. Thus, let me introduce my friends known as cashmere and faux fur. While they aren’t pals with mother nature, they are besties with the warmth of a car service and parking garage. This diva probably doesn’t even leave her desk for lunch, and if she needs to, she has Jimmy John’s on speed dial to deliver. (Can you tell who I most identify with?!) Anyways, for this friend, I recommend a bit more luxury. One of my favorite places to shop right now is Topshop for Nordstrom. It is affordable and super trendy, yet still high quality. I have loved seeing this collaboration grow, and I encourage you to check it out! Both of these coats are fun and fabulous. They don’t break the bank, which is good, since they aren’t Miss Responsibility, but they are still useful and versatile. You can wear this one casual or dressy with skinnies (love that it’s a little longer), and this one is super yummy to wear for holiday parties, or outerwear with dresses or pants.


Put on your last year’s coat and get shopping! Or, if you’re too cold, just cozy up on the couch and click one of the best phrases ever invented, “add to bag.”

PS - Gavin likes having a coat collection too. Write a comment or email me if you need shopping tips for where to buy for baby! :)

1 comment: