Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Fabulous Flats

OH, fashionistas. Since I last blogged, so much as happened. Seattle shopped the Nordstrom Anniversary sale (I am proud to report not only did I track down every item on my wish list, I also provided fabulous finds for some of my favorite fellow fashionistas), suffered through a massive heat wave (which really did not coordinate well with all the fall merchandise we just bought at the Anniversary Sale – perhaps that explains why no one seemed able to dress for the record-breaking weather), and celebrated the annual Sea Fair (another occasion where people had wardrobe issues; this time, it seemed women opted not to get dressed at all… a rather disturbing choice for most observers in nearby boats – such as myself and the husband – yikes!)

Also – amidst the chaos of all the above, the husband discovered a MASSIVE SPIDER in our kitchen! This is not an exaggeration – this little monster was 4 inches in diameter. (Or is that radius? Who cares. It was huge!) It was a pretty monumental moment in our short marriage, so I am noting it here. Five minutes post-spider-death, I heard what sounded like a Lamaze class taking place in my bathroom. No, it was just the arachnophobia husband, panting and taking deep yoga breaths, still recovering from the act of killing the biggest spider ever. As he smashed it (I am pretty sure there were tears of fear in his eyes), he viciously yelled, “And tell your family!” I kid you not. The man sent the spider a death message for his relatives. Again, this is what I live with.

Back to the happenings - last but not least, this little fashionista got a new job! But don’t worry! It is still in the fashion industry and it is really even more fabulous. Yet, this new endeavor requires me to be even quicker on my feet… meaning, wait for it… yes, I have had to stoop so low (literally) as to purchase flats. Multiple pairs, in fact! You may feel as depressed as I, knowing that the lie I have been living for years as a 5’5” person is over, but I promise you, this new gig is definitely worth it, and my feet are thanking me already. (Another bonus - I predict these shoes are going to be extremely helpful in my spider-smashing future.) So, at least a couple days a week, I am back to 5’1”. (Pitiful.) Considering I have not purchased flats in years (except for those gladiators you know I love), I did some major research on my purchases, and am here to enlighten you as well. Below are my favorites. Be sure to let me know if you find any good ones, too!

First... let's be honest; they are FLATS, so we don't want to deposit a whole paycheck into them like we might do for some Chanel pumps. Instead, let's be practical for once. First things first - we need a perfect pair of black flats to go with anything and everything. This one is ideal - it's the beloved patent, but a simple shape, and a sneaky little tiny heel, to provide a bit of height - just enough! Plus, Jessica Simpson, despite her romance problems, actually makes pretty comfortable shoes. Or, the Ruby and Bloom is a perfect little ballet flat - so reminds me of Gwyneyth Paltrow - effortlessly simple and chic. (I love it in the metallic colors too - I might buy a few of these actually!)

Then, we need a pair that will go with all of our basic black, but also back to solid colors. Something to jazz up our outfits a bit. We may be a few inches lower, but hey, we can still feel fab! So, let's rock the animal print. I LOVE these leopard ones by my friend Charles by Charles David, and I think they are a great price too.


Happy speed walking, fashionistas!
Could it be - the flatter the shoes, the faster you shop?? Hmmmm.... i'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment