Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Sweet, sweet season of weddings



Well fashionistas, we’re in the midst of sale season, which we all know keeps us busy enough, but now we are in the dead heat of my other favorite season – nope, you know me better than to think it would be something as trivial as “summer.” Wedding season is officially in full swing! I kicked it off on Saturday, when one of my nearest and dearest friends (you may remember her as the sparkly Vegas bachelorette) wed her high school sweetheart on the 4th of July. Fortunately for me, she chose a darling sunshine yellow dress, and the nicest-bride-ever let us pick our own shoes! Of course, I went with the sky-high Charles by Charles David camel colored heels with gold accents. Perfect for looks, not so perfect for my walk down the bumpy grass aisle… never mind that. (However, if in the market for something that will take you from 5'1 to 5'6, visit his website.)

However, most times we attend weddings, we are not part of the privy bridal party, and must get dressed on our own. Here is where I come to the rescue…

A few helpful hints to help you look almost as cute as these people from Martha Stewart Weddings magazine (see pic above - they are adorable):

1. Select your outfit sometime other than the DAY OF the wedding. Picking something out an hour before is an obvious recipe for disaster. I've been there, and ended up frantically buying duct tape at a gas station to hold my dress to my chest... try waking up with that situation in the morning!

2. While you’re behaving as a good fashionista, creating the perfect ensemble a few days prior to the big event, do your research! Most of the vital stats can be learned from the invitation – so make sure your husband/lover/roommate/mother/dog/whoever does not throw that precious piece of paper away! The time of the ceremony is a major hint; afternoon = more casual, after 5 = more dressy, probably cocktail-ish. The location of the reception is another giveaway; outside = more casual, downtown hotel or venue = more dressy. And, since you are a few days out, if you are super confused, you have time to call someone who would know the answer, but would probably be too VIP on the day of the wedding to talk to you.

3. Please dress your mate appropriately. Whoever is the “true” fashionista in the relationship (and I know there are many men who fill this important role), make sure your outfits coordinate. For example, when you go with the girl in the sunshine dress, you don’t wear a dark, dreary winter suit. (I am proud to report that this was not us! The husband showed up dressed to IMPRESS this time, and I have pictures to prove it! I just can't figure out how to get them off the camera.) You can take a cue from my best-dressed hubby; summer, outdoor wedding, accompanying a date in bright cotton dress… boy’s outfit translates to: cute khaki-ish pants (not straight, old fashioned khakis, but ones with a slight pattern or texture – I love any of the chino styles from j.crew), light-colored striped button-shirt, brown leather slip on shoes, and brown belt. Effortless.

4. Yes, wedding season can be stressful, chaotic, busy – like I said, it can overtake your summer, just like our treasured sales! However, under NO circumstances should you attend a wedding with overlapping guests in the EXACT. SAME. OUTFIT. That, my fashionistas, is a faux-pa we just cannot forgive. So make a note on the calendar, take a Polaroid, do what you must, but when you are celebrating this summer, you better be doing so in something different each time around. (With resources like your friend’s, sister’s, mom’s closets, Target, H and M, Forever 21… trust me, you can make it happen.)

And this, my fashionable friends, is how it's done. Instead of struggling with style, you will SAIL right through the beloved wedding season, making me proud along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment