Wednesday, June 24, 2009

SEQUIN mania

Last weekend I had the pleasure of travelling to Las Vegas for a dear friend's bachelorette party. Wait, by party, I mean, paaaaaaarTY! But, it's not true what they say; what happens in Vegas, does NOT stay in Vegas. Because I have to tell you - that place was fashion faux-pa central! I interpreted the general rule there as "less is more," and when people were actually dressed, that was just as scary of a sight! However, our little bachelorette party was definitely more creative... The one thing all 8 of us agreed on throughout the weekend was our obsession with SEQUINS.

In couture fashion, sequins are referred to by their prettier, fancier, french name: "paillettes." But, in Vegas, they're just plain old sequins, and we wanted lots of them. The first night out, our very own bachelorette donned a brown sequin tank dress by Free People (this sassy little number also comes in a dark purple and champagne-ish gold. However, as I am seeing it online, I am noticing it is sold as a shirt and not a dress...that's what I thought! Oh well, the insane little bridezilla just gave it a whole new look, and a very Vegas-y one too! I have seen this shirt/tank/dress/whatever you want it to be worn as a top though, with boyfriend jeans - which you should have by now! - and gold flats, and it was quite cute. So there you go). Not to mention, the lovely bride-to-be accessorized her ensemble with the ever-important blingy bachelorette tiara and a pink sash just in case anyone beyond the vacinity failed to hear the squeals, laughs and constant shouts of "She's getting MARRIED!"

The next night, I threw on an oldie-but-goodie from Urban Outfitters in the form of an all-over short sleeved silver sequined little number. What a tongue-twister. (If you are ever desperate for sequins, Urban is a great place to check, especially online.) And, thinking of my newly-learned "less-is-more" Vegas philosophy, I belted it with a wide black belt to take it up just a notch. (Don't worry - only a little!) Speaking of, a wide black belt is absolutely an essential, and I love this one. For the mere price of $68, I think this totally looks Givenchy or Balenciaga inspired, and in a good way! I am also needing a skinny black belt, and I think this one is a great deal and super chic.

Long story (and even longer weekend!) short - every girl needs a little sparkle in her life. Whether you are living it up in Vegas, going out and about in our own town, or just need a pick-me-up one day, I tell you, sequins = success.

1 comment:

  1. Erin,

    As a guy who's Mom is a saleswoman at Nordstrom, whofancies himsel as some kind of writer and who actually cares about how he looks, I have to tell you two things.

    1. I love your blog. Some of th stuff is two fashion insider for me to get, but I think you have great style in your writing.

    2. Since Mal went to your wedding, I know you have a hubby that you ust be dresing yourself...how about a little more guy fashion advice? Honestly, I would take what you have to say to heart.

    Anyway, wanted to tell you that this is the blog (Mal has talked about it for months and i just checked it out) that has most recently been added to my must reads. Keep up the good work. If you didn't already know, you're writing is highly entertaining.

    The thing that makes me laugh though, is that as much as you write for an educated, sopphitacted audience, your tone doesn't surprise me. It is just the grown u intelligent version of the eight year old smartass I used to babysit for. Anyway, keep it up! I love reading your posts and fashion is irreliveant to me. You just have great style!

    ReplyDelete