Tuesday, May 19, 2009

BB-Question: what do i wear?


On Sunday I went to a barbecue. Simple, old-fashioned, American fun. Green grass, sunny day, good food. All of the above should be complemented by the perfect ensemble. However, I had NO IDEA WHAT TO WEAR. Scratch that – I did have an IDEA of what to wear, but I did not OWN that idea. This is where the tragedy arose. Consequently, it took this fashionista more than hour to get dressed! Even more tragic, by the time I did discover a decent outfit, I was sweating nearly all my makeup off, and could not even enjoy my hot coffee!

There was a main problem within this fashion crisis; I was invited by association. Meaning, as much as I love these people, and let’s be honest, I know they love me back, but - I know they love my husband more. But, nonetheless, they were nice enough to invite me to share in the fun. So, since all of the guests were expecting the husband to show up in his normal jeans/vans/v-neck outfit (newly accented by his post-wedding weight gain, I might add), I know they had low expectations for my outfit as well.

However, it is my belief that I must always dress to impress. Coco believed the same thing – she once said. “I don't understand how a woman can leave the house without fixing herself up a little - if only out of politeness. And then, you never know, maybe that's the day she has a date with destiny. And it's best to be as pretty as possible for destiny.” And who knows – what if I met destiny at that dang BBQ? See? THIS is why it took me an hour to figure out a barbecuing outfit. Plus, I cannot help I was being distracted by the opinions of one faux-fashion-expert who was wearing a t-shirt with a cartoon bride and groom that read “GAME OVER.” Nice. This genius also believes that jean shorts are cool and that Carhartts are couture. HELP ME.

Eventually I decided on boyfriend jeans, a striped ¾ sleeve blouse, flats, and big sunglasses. While this worked, I was missing a few key elements that would have really worked better! Below is what I’m adding to my wish list – and you should too – to stock the closet for those upcoming summer backyard days...

PRINTED (and pretty!) TOPS, like this one by Elizabeth and James
i love mixing the femininity of piece (from Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen's line) with the roughness of the boyfriend jeans

or, (ok, AND, but don't wear it with the top above!), a FUN, FITTED CARDIGAN, like this one by Tracy Reese
this is DARLING and would be cute with the BF jeans, or any denim, but also over a dress as well (for those "fancy" barbecues!)

And, if you don't have them yet, BOYFRIEND JEANS, like these by Rich and Skinny
you MUST pick up a pair of these at some point - they are here to stay!

No comments:

Post a Comment