Saturday, May 16, 2009

Broke-O for Coco

Considering this is my premiere blog post, it is with deep appreciation that I dedicate it to 1.) Coco Chanel and 2.) my latest and greatest investment: The Chanel Grand Shopping Tote. Luxurious black patent caviar leather, so shiny yet so supple and soft at the same time. The classic silver chain with perfectly shaped leather for the shoulder, to simultaneously maximize comfort and style. That treasured, cherished, honored CC logo… not tacky, but expertly blended enough to be noticeable, however (I like to think) not ostentatious. Does life get any better than the moment you are carrying this precious handbag over your shoulder? I think not.

My husband, however, begs to differ. When mentally preparing for this purchase, I half-heartedly asked him how much he thought would be appropriate to spend on a new handbag. (Keep in mind, I was shopping online, he was playing Wii, and neither of us really cared about his answer. A typical Saturday night in our home.) But when he responded $40, I nearly fell out of my chair! “Forty dollars?!?!” I shrieked. “If you ever buy me a bag for $40, I guarantee I’ll hate it!!” Mr. Generosity then upped his budget to $60. Since the conversation was clearly going down hill, I immediately burst into tears and put it to a stop.

Fast forward four days later: I come home from work, pleasantly surprised that he is not here. Perfect, I think. He is working late, and will have completely forgot that today was the day I had planned to make the BIG purchase. No such luck. Moments later, the phone rings. I hurry through the conversation, trying to keep track of what he is saying while frantically hiding my purchases. Suddenly: “How much did the bag cost?” I’ve been caught! The man who forgets nearly everything I tell him remembered about the day I was going broke-o for my Coco! I mumbled a response (I refuse to even tell you how many digits it consisted of), to which he replied, “Oh.” Not bad, I thought. Could have been better (dream response = “That’s amazing! I am so excited for you! And, since you have been working so hard, I want to buy you the matching wallet!”), but it could have been worse (nightmare response = “I want a divorce.”).

So, all’s well that ends well: I’m still married, AND I have a Grand Shopper! The only thing is, I just might not be able to afford food for the next month….

2 comments:

  1. Little, you freaking crack me up. And if you two get a divorce over Chanel, I want those mixing bowls back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some things never change -- and I can say that because I have known you longer than anyone else!
    Please use self-control when viewing the new collections, Erin! We want to keep Andy!
    love mom

    ReplyDelete