Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Coco comes home


It was a happy day in my household yesterday. Not only did my precious Coco (you remember my GLORIOUS! Chanel grand shopping tote) come home from repair-land looking better than ever (she had a minor owie that had to be corrected), a little friend came along with her in the form of a BLACK ESSENTIAL TWEED 2-POCKET CARDIGAN JACKET. Read it and weep, fashionistas. Your favorite blogger is the new owner of a classic, oh-so-Coco jacket!

In fact, I can totally picture Coco Chanel herself in something similar. The cardigan jacket was her first jacket design, and they style still exists today. Karl Lagerfeld loves the design so much that last year a GIGANTIC one sat in the center of the runway for the Spring/Summer 2008 Haute Couture Show. (Mine looks like that, basically, but is black and has only 2 pockets. It is microscopic compared to that monstrous one, but I’m giving you the general idea here. Its massive presence on the runway is symbolic of how owning one is such a big deal in my life!) The darling little thing has many followers – from 20-somethings like myself to grandmas! I kid you not – a woman in her sixties – at least – was trying this on the other day. Which is fine with me, because I admittedly have a soft spot for grandma clothes. I just love old-ladyish pieces! I like to think it’s because they are more classic, but I think it’s just been inherited. My grandma constantly took me shopping as a baby, strolling me around all the shops, letting the shopping gene seeeeeeeeep into my little tiny baby brain. She says I was incredibly well-behaved while at the mall – even as an infant! I think this says a lot. It’s like I was TRAINED from birth to be a shopaholic…. So I can’t really feel bad about it. It’s genetics.


Just like my bag, I will own this jacket for a lifetime. Like I tell the anti-shopaholic-husband, it’s an INVESTMENT. He asked me what the return on my so-called investment would be. Well… first I had to figure out what exactly that question meant. Why does it always seem like he is speaking Spanish to me? Apparently, he meant “How will this make you money in the future?” Oh, ok – that’s easy. I use it my whole life, then I hand it down to my future fashionista daughter (if she’s a tomboy I’ll die, but give her the bag anyways), then she passes it down, and so on and so forth. So, it’s like this – I’m not TECHNICALLY making money in the future, but I’m SAVING money, now and then… because since I have the fabulous bag now, I will be able to share the wealth with my offspring. Duh! And it will be the same with the jacket. Did you know almost all Chanel jackets can be let in or let out up or down 2 whole sizes? It’s amazing, and such a couture feature. So, my new favorite jacket could be made to fit the tomboy daughter, basically whatever size she is, or whoever! See, it is an “investment,” just a very fashionable one.....

No comments:

Post a Comment