Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Pool Party


I recently attended an impromptu pool party, which featured a water slide (so scary - see right), a hot tub (not scary, heavenly), a little cheerleading clinic (more about that later), fabulous food, friends and family, and of course, swimsuits (can be scary). We can love ‘em or loathe ‘em, but year after year , the bikinis are back. And, unless you plan on being a little vampire all summer, you must face the facts and buy the bathing suit that’s best for you.

Now, not only must you consider your body type, but also your activity level. For someone like my mother, who went down a water slide for the first time in a decade, you need something supportive yet fashionable at the same time. What did she learn from her trip (her very, very nervous trip, which was more of a push) down the slide? Two important fashionista facts:

1. Water slides can and will wreck your hair (for both that day and the following – it is a tough recovery, let me tell you. I saw the woman in person the next morning – her hair looked half like a pancake, half like it was electrocuted! This is very “her” though… we called my mother Cruella Deville for years…Our other pet name for her is Lucy, after Lucille Ball. The water slide experience in and of itself was quite a Lucy moment. I have not a finer memory of this summer so far than watching my mother careen down a light blue slide, screeching at the top of her lungs, and splashing into the water, where the Hostess with the Mostess, Mary, waited for her. The best part of all was watching concerned Mary, ready and waiting with a kickboard to uphold my floundering mother, calling out “Pop up! Pop up!” thinking that Lucy had drowned in the 8 ft. pool. No, she didn’t drown (she can barely swim, so she very well could have; you should have seen my brother forcing her to blow bubbles when he tried to teach her to swim a few summers back. To say the least, he eventually just gave up). The reason she almost never “popped up” was just her adoring son-in-law, pulling her gangly legs downward, causing Mary to keep yelling “Come on! Pop up! You can do it!” This is my family – we have Cruella/Lucy running the thing, and I won’t even get into my dad, who was doing cannon balls all night...)

2. Back to the lesson at hand - If you have bottoms on that are even a TAD to small (the mother again), or a top on that is even a TAD too big (that was my bad), that swimwear WILL malfunction and slide right up or right down! Nothing that a gifted swimmer can’t react to (that would be…neither of us), but all should be prepared.
So, for the insane-but-charming water-slide-rider mom, I suggest a well-fit tankini, like this one. (I adore the coral color, the classic bottom, and the sweetheart cut on top!)

If you are an active high school girl like my future-cheerleader friend, same idea… swimwear that has function and fashion. This girl and her pals were leaping off walls and ledges, flipping forward and backward, and busting out all kinds of frightening moves that scared me just watching. For those cuties, a bikini is still an option, but I would select a halter top (not triangles that can slide around on you!) and a full coverage bottom, like this one. I love the details on this top in the material, and I think the width of the sides on the bottom are just right.

If you are me, and prefer to participate in no type of water sports/activities whatsoever, your options are endless! No, not really. Why? Because you never know when evil husband will throw you in the pool, or when you too will be forced down the sky-high water slide. So, you must come prepared in a suit ideal for tanning (my main priority from now through the end of September), but also something that can withstand the torture from people who actually LIKE water. (Weird, I know.) I especially like tops with options for straps, like this one (remove the straps for no-tan lines, and fasten those darling pink things on for some security later!)

Finally, don’t forget a cute cover up. (I normally don't love Juicy, but I DO love this long cover up. You know I have been into Maxi dresses lately! And I am obsessed with navy blue, so this has a lot going for it.) For a shorter option, this is a great style for all body types, and it has an especially fun print.

Goal before next pool party: get Cruella a decent suit, and come prepared with a strategy to avoid that scary slide!

2 comments: