Monday, June 15, 2009

Life's too short to hate happy hours



We had been married for a very short time when one night, the husband said something like this to his fun-loving fashionista wife: "You need to learn that fun doesn't only take place Monday through Friday from 4 to 6pm at a bar or restaurant!" "Well!" I thought, "He simply hasn't come to understand the joy of happy hour. Little does he know that fun really can happen from 4 to 6pm, and it is very affordable fun at that!"

Fear not, my fellow happy goers. He has since learned that happy hour is not only FUN, but it is an art. You must scout where to go and when, what to get and why, and duh - as always, we must be dressed to impress! I am proud to report that tonight, at my new favorite happy hour hot spot (which I reveal later), HE was the one who kept ordering the delicious half-priced snacks! More importantly, HE came home from work and decided he must change his outfit and VOLUNTARILY put on a collared shirt! I declare, there is a God!

Now that I have been living on Eastlake for awhile, I have finally taken the time to tap into the neighborhood's multiple happy hour opportunities. Sale season has slowed me down a little, but the sunny weather and my favorite summer dresses have pushed me right back into action! There is nothing like slipping on a darling little dress, your new flat gold gladiator sandals (more about those later too), some fabulous sunglasses, and lounging on a deck or patio while enjoying some cheap vino and basking in the sun. Honestly, it's the best feeling ever. If you haven't implemented this into your summer-loving lifestyle, I suggest you treat yourself to such a luxury (well, more like a steal-of-a-deal luxury) once a week or so. It is absolutely worth it.

Yet, you'll feel even better if you have on a little ensemble like I just mentioned. I found some AMAZING gold gladiators at H and M for $17.95! (I can't include a picture because their website is super confusing and doesn't really have product, but trust me, they are super cute and So comfortable.) Comfort is key for happy hour, because what if the hubby gets REALLY fun and decides he can handle TWO happy hours?!?! Whoa there! Ok, so get yourself some gladiators. (Speaking of - funny store about gladiators.... While I was in Italy a few years ago, my infamous mother - the same woman who told me there was a bridge to Alaska - visited the Collosseum in Rome. We took a professional tour, during which the tour guide spoke about the role of gladiators who fought there way back when. Halfway through, my mother leans over and whispers: "Why does she keep calling the dinosaurs gladiators? And why were the dinosaurs wearing helmets?" Yes, the 3rd grade teacher thought the HUMAN gladiators were DINOSAURS. This is where I come from!!)

Then, you need some shades. Whether you go high (like my Chanels) or low (BP at Nordstrom has every style imaginable for $10 each!), just pick up something fun and that looks good on your face. While bigger is better, don't look like a bug! When in doubt, I think every girl needs a pair of aviators, and you can check out a ton here.

Finally, we have discussed this before, but the maxi can totally handle some happy hours - she can be dressed down with the gladiators, or for some fancier times, do her up with heels and more accessories. I just bought this one, and it's AWESOME on. Plus, it's silk, so it will wear well and... wait for it... be totally IN and look great next summer too. If you haven't quite latched on to my maxi obsession yet (I'll keep pushing it, because I know eventually you will get the hint), a short summer dress would be perfect too. I have been loving the idea of white dresses with gold shoes (the famous gladiators) and accessories (pick up gold from your earrings, sunglasses, etc.) A white linen or cotton dress is like a blank canvas, and not only ideal for happy hour, but of course for other occasions as well. (All of these are avialable in white.)

So, moral of the story: pick up these summer staples, and get yourself to a happy hour, STAT! Because, it's like that phrase - life's too short; eat dessert first. That's essentially what I told the happy-hour-hating-husband - honey, life's too short to hate happy hours.

In case you're on the hunt for the happiest of happy hours, here are a few of my favorites to get you started:
Eastlake:
*Daniel's Broiler (Lake Union location)
*Bluwater Bistro (I prefer the Lake Union location)
*I Love Sushi (Lake Union location again)
Downtown:
*Palomino
*Red Fin

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, while I concur about white being a blank canvas... all I can envision right now is your white dress being the perfect blank canvas for that fabulous red wine on happy hour :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yo erin, your blog is quite exciting for me to read, i thought you'd be happy to know. I learn a lot :)

    ReplyDelete